Welcome to the official website for James “JT” Taylor – musician, composer, arranger and band leader focusing on percussion instruments.
The New CD is Out!
You’ve got to hear it to believe it. Never has there been a steel drum band recording that has sounded this good.
Featuring James “JT” Taylor – This CD is a compilation of classic Caribbean tunes. Get out the lounge chair and sit back and relax to the soothing sounds of the steel drum. – If you listen closely you can almost hear the waves lapping against the shore.$15.00 + $2.50 shipping and handling
- YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! The steel drum class is going on again. We start Jan. 27, 2014. Classes are each Monday from 8-9:00 PM. Desert Ridge Music Academy is located on the northeast corner of Cave Creek Rd and Rose Garden Ln, just north of the Loop 101. Please contact them at 602-404-5475 to sign up. No previous music knowledge needed and instruments are provided.
- I just created a new YouTube channel featuring clips of me playing solo steel pan and with JT’s Island Steel as well as some steel bands from NY, St. Lucia and Trinidad. I’m planning to record and upload more clips that will feature solo marimba, vibes, hammered dulcimer, melodica as well as those instruments along with percussion and rhythm section. The clips will cover a variety of styles. Subscribers to my new YouTube channel will receive notification of new uploaded clips. The YouTube channel name is: James “JT” Taylor channel. Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/doubleseconds?feature=mhee Several of my videos can also be viewed on my website as well.
- For anyone that would like to take a private lesson and can’t make the trip to Phoenix, I’m now available for lessons via DVD, Face Time and soon Skype. Areas covered in the lessons include: technique, approaches to sticking, utilization of four mallets, solo playing concepts, improvisational techniques, comping (voicing techniques and concepts), jazz theory, repertoire development, how to practice,…more.
- Guesting on a CD with my buddy Tom Gates called “New Dream”. The CD features Tom Gates, Glen Fisher, Steve Gadd, Othello Molineaux and more. I played steel pans-triple guitars made by Ellie Mannette, and double seconds from both Ellie Mannette and Herman Guppy. Stay tuned for release date and how to purchase
- I have recently starting selling Panyard Jumbie Jam Steel Drums as well as Panyard stands and any other products you may be interested in. Please contact JT for more info.
Panyard Jumbie Jam Steel Drum Kit
Fun to Play & Easy to Learn! When you are ready to transport yourself to the Islands…”All you have to do is play de notes – Yeah Mon, it’s the Jumbie Jam!” It is easy for anyone to play and makes learning music fun. Great for novice musicians or professional players looking for a high quality steel drum sound. Designed for ages 5 plus, it is also a wonderful instrument for general classroom education and compliments the Orff Schulwerk approach to music education.
Not just for children…Adults love it too! The “Jumbie Jam” is great for beginning or novice musicians, enjoying music with family or friends, drum circles, players demanding a high quality sound and adding an island flavor or Caribbean sound to any band! Watch this short video demonstration of how great this Jumbie steel drum sounds.
The “Jumbie Jam” Kit is packaged in a colorful carrying case and includes:
- Authentic Steel Drum
- Height Adjustable/Collapsible Stand
- Beginner’s Guide/Song Book including a Play-Along CD allowing you to practice on your own or “Jam with the Band”
- Pan head is 16″ in diameter
- Notes included: C, D, E, F#, G, A, B, G
- Packaging: 4″ x 24″ x 17″
- Weight: 7 lbs
- Age Level: 5+
- Made in USA
- Colors available: Blue, Pink, Purple and Grey
MSRP: $249.95$185.00 . $17.00 shipping and handling
Artwork from Trinidad 2011 and Artwork from St. Lucia 2007
Contact: James “JT” Taylor